1. Hormonal birth control may lead to low testosterone levels. Wondering why you have zero sex drive or we’re slaving away in the gym and not seeing muscle gain or PR’s?
2. Hormonal birth control may deplete us of nutrients – such as B vitamins, zinc, magnesium, and selenium. This impacts thyroid function (which controls metabolism) and our sex hormones – which may explain why someone might struggle losing fat or to have a good body comp.
Consider crushing lots of fruits & veggies (600-800g daily), healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, salmon, bison, beef), and high-quality meats. Supplement to fill the gaps with a good brand like Thorne Research.
3. Hormonal birth control negatively impacts gut health. Gut flora may become more prone to imbalances like h. pylori, candida, SIBO, or leaky gut. Poor gut health can compromise our ability to be a healthy body weight, have balanced hormones, and may also impact our mood/mental health.
Consider minimizing processed food, crush 30-35g fiber daily, and rotate usage of probiotics, bone broth, collagen, and fermented foods.
4. Symptoms like acne, cramps, heavy bleeding, or lack of a cycle may be signs of hormonal imbalance. Hormonal birth control cannot “fix” these & we can (and should!) remedy symptoms by addressing root cause via diet, lifestyle, or exercise, if possible.
Crush 8 hours of sleep daily, consider removing dairy and gluten, and make sure we’re getting ample protein, carbohydrates, and fats at every meal.
5. Hormonal imbalance symptoms may occur up to 6-12+ months after transitioning off hormonal birth control and symptoms like amenorrhea, acne, and mood swings are common as hormones were suppressed and need time to up-regulate and balance. Give that body some TLC!
If we’re healthy, periods are painless & easy. If we’re suffering symptoms, it may be the body’s way of speaking up and telling us to live life differently.
Not sure where to start? Check out Lara Briden’s Period Repair Manual or Jolene Brighten’s Beyond the Pill, work with a doctor, and considering hiring an experienced coach.