“The Pill will fix your irregular cycle”
“The Pill will cure your acne”
“You have to take the pill so you have a monthly bleed”
^This list of myths could go on forever.
Worthing Marinading Over:
– Our period is the best indicator of your health
– Our period is monthly feedback on how we’re doing “under the hood”
– Menstrual cycles should not be miserable or accompanied by a laundry list of symptoms
– We do not experience a real menstrual bleed on hormonal birth control, but rather a drug-induced bleed
– If we don’t have a menstrual cycle, we lose touch with our hormones and feedback on how our body is doing
– The Pill contains synthetic hormones that are completely different than our own natural hormones
– The Pill cannot “fix” our cycle, as it actually suppresses our natural hormone function
– The Pill does not cure our acne and acne will come right back if we discontinue hormonal birth control
Hormonal Birth Control:
– May mask underlying issues such as Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, and PCOS
– May alter our mood and put us at risk for depression and/or anxiety
– May alter our sex drive
– May increase inflammation, may deplete us of nutrients vital for hormone and thyroid function, may hinder thyroid function, and may alter gut health and set us up for imbalances like SIBO, candida, or dysbiosis
– Prevents us from ovulating and thus also prevents us from producing progesterone, a very important sex hormone for our health and well-being
– Prevents pregnancy using synthetic hormones that are much different than our own natural hormones
Want to Learn More?
Check out books like Beyond the Pill by Jolene Brighten, The Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden, and The Hormone Cure by Sara Gottfried.