While you may have heard the term “adrenal fatigue” all over the Internet or IG, it’s not a phrase accepted by the medical community & that “HPA Axis Dysregulation” might be a more appropriate term.
The HPA encompasses the Hypothalamus, Pituitary, and Adrenal Glands. Together, they work to regulate stress, mood metabolism, energy, & more.
Potential Symptoms of Compromised Adrenal Health:
• Blood sugar irregularities
• Chronic fatigue
• Compromised immune system, constantly getting sick/injured
• Craving sweet/salty foods
• Depression, mood swings, agitation
• Difficulty getting out of bed
• Difficulty losing weight
• Feeling worse after caffeine
• Gut woes – alternating diarrhea/constipation, etc
• Insomnia, trouble falling/staying asleep
• Irregular cortisol levels
• Irregular menstrual cycles, hormonal imbalances
• Low blood pressure, feeling faint if standing up quickly
• No/low sex drive
• Poor concentration, mental fogginess
We live in a society that condones the “hustle hard, sleep when I’m dead, survive on coffee” mentality – so it’s no surprise that stress is a helluva drug & can wreak some serious havoc on our health/wellbeing if not careful.
Since we don’t live in a vacuum, adrenal health can play into thyroid, hormone, & digestive health (:
Easy Examples on Ways to Reduce Stress:
• Transition from HIIT/CrossFit to something like @paragonperformancetraining
• Go for long walks
• Deep breathing exercises, yoga
• Mediate via apps like Insight Timer
• Spend time outside without electronics
• Set boundaries on work
• Embrace the art of “saying no”
Easy Ways to Support Adrenal Health:
• Thoroughly salt food
• Consider minimizing coffee/go caffeine-free (hello decaf!)
• Consume ample cholesterol & healthy dietary fats from sources like avocados, olive oil, whole eggs, red meat, salmon
• Consider supplementing with adrenal glandular & adaptogens (Eleuthero, American Ginseng, Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, etc)
• Prioritize ample sleep 8-10 hrs/night
• Keep tabs on blood sugar regulation
• Consume well-rounded meals with pro/carb/fat/veggies/fiber at every meal & eat every few hours
Copyright Laurie Christine King. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
This web site offers health, wellness, fitness, exercise, and nutritional information and is provided for informational purposes only. This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Speak with your physician or healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, please contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read on this website. The use of any information provided on this website is solely at your own risk. Nothing stated or posted on this web site or available through any services offered by Laurie King or LaurieChristineKing.com are intended to be, and must not be taken to be, the practice of medicine.