Menopause occurs when a woman’s menstrual cycles come to an end, her ovaries stop producing eggs, and she is no longer able to bear children. Menopause typically occurs between the ages of 49-52, but hormone changes typically begin fluctuating during a woman’s mid-30’s during a phase known as perimenopause. Around the 35-40 age window when perimenopause begins, women begin to see changes in their hormone levels.
As a result, women are often left with very imbalanced hormones and an abundance of symptoms. Add in cortisol issues, potential thyroid stuff, and no wonder women hate aging!
Common Symptoms of Menopause:
– Hot flashes
– Night sweats
– Irregular menstruation
– Loss of libido and vaginal dryness
– Mood swings
– Difficulty sleeping
– Weight gain & increased belly fat
Daily Habits to Support Happy Hormone Levels:
– Watch caffeine/alcohol consumption
– Consume adequate calories (check our ebooks!)
– Consume ample healthy fats (from sources like EVOO, coco oil, avocados, grass-fed butter, nuts, seeds, omega-3’s, grass-fed beef, eggs)
– Consume plenty of water and fiber (from sources like avocado, GF oats, chia and flax seeds berries, figs, nuts, squash)
– Consume ample cruciferous veggies and sprouts
– Consume 500-600 grams of vegetables and 100-300 grams fruits per day
– Minimize processed foods, refined sugars, and invest in high-quality meat
– Get 8-9 hours of sleep & regular exercise (especially weight training – check out Paragon Training Methods!)
– Minimize plastic exposure and use safer skincare, haircare, bodycare, and cosmetics (like Beauty Counter)
– Address gut health and digestive woes
– Consider supplementing basics like zinc, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D (if low on labs), and probiotics
Don’t be afraid to test sex hormones and thyroid levels. If changes to nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, supplementation, and environmental exposures aren’t enough, hormone replacement therapy might be life-changing. Work with your doctor to find a plan tailored to you, your labwork, and your symptoms! Things like bioidentical progesterone can be a game-changer!
Love these types of health and nutrition tips? My ebook (The Badass Nutrition Guide) is the ULTIMATE guide to your BEST you & has 125 pages of nutritional education, macro cheat sheets, information on how much to eat, tips on fat loss, deets on hormones, guides on cooking, macros, & SO much more!