Life Update: we’re still not cooking.
When I first started learning about nutrition and eating healthier, I tried to do the most: I bought eleventy billion cookbooks. I scoured Pinterest for hours and pinned recipe after recipe after recipe. I bought calendars to plan my week and spent hours in the Matrix trying to make meal plans and shopping lists and figure out how much of each ingredient I needed to buy.
I wrapped chicken breast in bacon, marinated citrus and herb salmon, made rosemary and bacon balsamic vinegar brussel sprouts, roasted pans of exotic potatoes until crispy… and it was fun.. until it wasn’t. I was racking up insane grocery bills, spending hours upon hours in the kitchen (only to spend even more time cleaning up after all the cooking), and I was overwhelmed by the idea that this is what “healthy” was.
Present day, I do anything BUT the most. If it can’t be microwaved/prepared in less than 5-10 minutes, I’m not doing it. I’m a bad b*tch and I got businesses to run and people to help.
Healthy No-Cook Meals
Look for precooked proteins with minimal ingredients. Less than ~10 ingredients would be ideal. Pay attention to nutrition labels and start learning what macros are in your foods. Aim for a protein, carb, fat, fruit, and veggie at most meals (if you can)
- Examples of Protein: meats, fish, eggs, yogurt
- Examples of Fats: avocados, nuts, seeds, oils, chocolate, whole milk cheese/yogurts, dressings
- Examples of Carbs: waffles, breads, pastas, bagels, fruit, oats, cereal, granola
Fast and Easy No cook Meals Ideas:
- High Protein Greek Yogurt + Hard Boiled Eggs + Instant Oatmeal + Maple Syrup or Honey + Fresh Fruit
- Bagel with Peanut Butter and Jelly + Instant Oatmeal + Honey or Maple Syrup + Chia or Flax Seeds + Berries
- Precooked Shrimp + Avocado or Olive Oil + Microwave Rice + Mini Bell Peppers + Fresh Fruit
- Rotisserie Chicken + Avocado + 1-2 Handfuls of Arugula or Spinach + Salad Dressing + Bag of Microwave Vegetables
- Precooked Carnitas or Steak + Microwaved Sweet Potato + Avocado or Olive Oil + Microwave Vegetables + Fresh Fruit
- Smoothie: 1-2 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder + 1-2 Tablespoons Nut Butter + 1-2 Cups Spinach or Kale + 1/2 Cup Frozen Pineapple + 1/2 Cup Frozen Mango + 1/2 Frozen Banana
- On The Go: Pre-made Protein Shake, Protein Bar, or Jerky + Dark Chocolate or Plantain Chips + Dried Mangos, Fresh Fruit, Gummy Bears, Breakfast Cereal, Granola