“That time of the month” doesn’t have to be horrific, painful, or uncomfortable.
If you would have told this to 15-year-old LCK, I would have assumed you were on drugs and not believed it was true – but here I am at 29 years of age & cycles are clockwork, near symptomless, and oh so easy. Quite the turnaround from teenage me that went on the pill because I was missing school due to period problems and struggling with chronic pizza face (aka acne).
Premenstrual Syndrome, commonly known as PMS, is a collection of symptoms that may occur prior to or during a woman’s menstrual cycle. If PMS symptoms are severe, we may be struggling with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD).
Possible PMS Symptoms:
(including but not limited to)
– Abdominal pain, back pain, cramping
– Appetite changes, food cravings, overeating
– Bloating, water retention
– Breast tenderness
– Constipation, diarrhea, digestive woes
– Heavy bleeding, menstrual clots
– Hot flashes
– Mood swings, depression, anxiety
– Weight gain, body composition changes
How Can We Naturally Relieve PMS?
Symptoms like above may be the body’s way of speaking up and telling us to try and live differently. These symptoms can also be a sign of an underlying issue, such as low thyroid function, Endometriosis, etc.
If cycles are a little wonky, try picking up a copy of The Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden and read up on your specific symptoms. Hormonal birth control may relieve symptoms, but it won’t address the root cause of why we have symptoms in the first place. Don’t be afraid to tweak nutrition, lifestyle, and exercise!
Naturally Improving PMS:
– Migraines or cramps? Consider supplementing 300-400mg magnesium!
– Acne? Try switching to natural skincare, body care, hair care, & body products (@beautycounter) & watch the gluten/dairy!
– Mood or fatigue? Don’t be afraid to grab extra sleep or take extra days off the gym!
Check out these other natural ways to improve hormone health via nutrition & lifestyle – these apply whether or not we use hormonal birth control!