Miserable or uncomfortable periods may be common, but they certainly aren’t normal.
Your menstrual cycle is timely and monthly feedback on how your body is responding to things like nutrition, exercise, environmental exposures, and overall lifestyle choices. Easy menstrual cycles can be the ultimate feedback that we’re eating well, exercising appropriately, and crushing a kickass lifestyle.
Worth mentioning that we could absolutely be crushing great habits and still be suffering symptoms — so if that’s the case, it may be time to play detective and seek out if there are underlying health issues, such as PCOS, Endometriosis, thyroid issues, etc at play.
Potential Signs of Hormone Imbalances:
- Acne, oily skin, breakouts
- Anxiety, depression, mood swings
- Blood sugar imbalances
- Cold intolerance
- Fibrocystic breast, breast tenderness
- Hair loss
- Heavy or painful menstrual cycles
- Long menstrual bleeds (7+ days)
- Lack of a menstrual cycle
- Low libido
- Mid-cycle spotting
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness
Hormone stuff is VERY complicated. We don’t live in a bubble, and so many factors go into all this.
My 3 biggest suggestions?
- Have a doctor that you’re confident in in your corner.
- Be the CEO of your own health by taking education and understanding into your own hands.
- Test, don’t guess. Hormone and thyroid testing is worth every penny for a proper diagnosis and quick treatment.
I’ve listed several of my favorite women’s health books in this infographic. And if you’re not already following them, some great social media follows include: