Painful cramps, heavy bleeding, & bad mood swings may be common, but they aren’t normal. Our period is monthly feedback on how our body is responding to our nutrition, exercise, environment, and overall lifestyle.
Relatively symptomless cycles? The ultimate feedback we’re crushing life. But we could absolutely be crushing great habits and still be suffering symptoms, so helping detect underlying issues is key!
Our cycle should be 21-35 days long.
• 35 days+? Totally common when we’re younger (due to lower FSH levels).
• Longer cycles might indicate thyroid issues, nutrient deficiencies, anovulatory cycles, elevations in prolactin, or issues like Endometriosis/Adenomyosis.
Cycle less than 21 days?
• May be related to anovulatory cycles or low hormone levels. Cycles may get sporadic as we hedge closer towards menopause.
Our menstrual bleed should last about 3-7 days.
• No bleed at all, or on the shorter side? May indicate low hormone levels, under-eating, over-exercising, nutrient deficiencies, thyroid issues.
• Bleeding 7+ days? May indicate high estrogen, thyroid issues, fibroids, polyps, Endo/Adenomyosis. May also be a side effect of certain hormonal birth controls or IUDs.
We should lose about 30-50mL of blood:
• Regular tampon = 5 mL, super = 10 mL. Menstrual cups = 30 mL. If we’re having to change products every 1-2 hrs, this is worth paying attention to.
• Greater than 50 mL might indicate high estrogen, thyroid issues, fibroids, polyps, Endometriosis, or Adenomyosis. Sometimes also a side effect of hormonal birth control / IUD.
Bleeds should be mostly clot-free.
• Appearance similar to crushed blueberries or clots bigger than a quarter? May be a sign of high estrogen, anovulatory cycles, low progesterone, fibroids, ovarian cysts, Endometriosis, or Adenomyosis.
Experiencing a plethora of symptoms, massive weight fluctuations, severe changes to mood, super painful cramps, nausea or vomiting? Might be clues to work closely with a doctor dive into nutrition, lifestyle, exercise, environment, and blood work. Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden would be a helpful read as well ♥️
Need help upping the ante on your awesome when it comes to nutrition and lifestyle? My ebook (The Badass Nutrition Guide) is the ULTIMATE guide to your BEST you & has 125 pages of nutritional education, macro cheat sheets, information on how much to eat, tips on fat loss, deets on hormones, guides on cooking, macros, & SO much more!